On December 30, 1913, a group of members from various Baptist churches in the area met at the home of Floyd Mangrum for the purpose of determining the possibility of a permanent church organization in Princeton.  The completion of the organization of the church was held on February 13, 1914. Dr. Dearing was thereupon elected to serve as first pastor of the church and it was to be named, “The First General Baptist Church of Princeton, Indiana.”

On February 11, 1917, church services were moved to the little courtroom in the Courthouse, with 92 being present for Sunday School and Church. Services were held in the Courthouse until July 1917 at which time Redman’s Hall located over Mossman’s Grocery was rented by the Church.  On December 2, 1917, the German Evangelical Church building on Emerson Street was vacant and the church leased this church building and remained there until a new church could be completed.  In August 1919, 217 North Gibson Street was purchased from the William Duncan heirs for the sum of $1,100.00.  The church was completed and the first services were held on May 5, 1920. The interior was not completely furnished and each family was asked to purchase as many chairs as needed for the members of their family. Also, a heating stove was used in the sanctuary and the story is told of Wednesday night prayer meetings where the chairs would be circled around the heating stove.  On November 25, 1923, the church held its dedication services. At this service, Dr. Dearing had charge of the services assisted by Pastor J.C. Cummins. 

On March 4, 1964, a vote was taken to exercise the option on the piece of ground where the church now stands, 13 acres for the price of $21,000.  September 17, 1967 a ground breaking ceremony was held at 2:00 p.m.
The first service held in the new Sanctuary was on April 14, 1968, which was Easter Sunday. Rev. Ray Phelps was the Pastor at this time. Rev. Phelps continued to pastor our church until he resigned in the fall of 1979.

In 2014 FGBC broke ground on the Family Life Center expansion of the building.  It was completed and moved into in the summer of 2015.
The First General Baptist Church has come a long way from meeting in a Courthouse courtroom, to the Church on the Hill east of town. But this building, as beautiful and functional as it is, is not the “church”, but rather the Church is its members who pass through its doors.  We have had many pastors pass through these doors with the purpose of winning lost souls to the Lord, God willing many more will continue to do His work.